Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shatn'er Get Off The Pot


********** NERD ALERT -**********

If you don't want to be exposed to absolute Geekery, quit reading now.



I went to see the highly anticipated, hyper-hyped, hipper revamp of Star Trek on opening weekend and I loved every minute of it! I definitely consider myself a bit of a trekker, though I must say I've never owned a pair of Spock ears nor have I gone to a convention... but this movie gave me geek chills all the way through! :)



Seeing these characters re-imagined was initially hard for me to swallow but irresistibly intriguing at the same time. Though I must admit, from the look of the cast I thought they would end up making 90210 in space. The writers of this flick and the new cast really brought all new depth the the characters we know and love. Each had their own moment to shine and really demonstrated why they are the interstellar dream team.



It was great to see Nimoy again, but what, no Shatner? Really? C'mon! I know it would not have make sense and would just be over indulgent, but why the hell not???



While developing this flick the filmmakers decided to go ahead and bring back Nimoy's Spock, and leave Shatner's Kirk out. (haha "Kirk out!") Apparently Shatner flipped his wig when he heard this.

I love Nimoy but having him without Shanter is like having a peanut butter sandwich without the fried banana!

Star Trek is the house that Shatner built! What gives?! I mean he is THE icon of intergalactic, egotistic overacting!




"He's dead, Jim!" Listen, I know Kirk was killed in STVII, but they brought Spock back from the dead STIII: The Search For Spock!!! If the crew can travel through time (Star Treks IV, VIII AND XI), why the FRAK can't they find a way to bring Kirk back? (Sorry to get your sci-fi wires crossed on that one...) Can't they just beam him into the movie?

As a fan of movies I was overly sated, though as a Trekker I was a tad bummed that JJ Abrams decided to create an alternate universe that ostensibly foregoes everything we know.


You mean to tell me that Kirk won't have trouble with Tribbles or get to scream "KAAAAAAAAAHN!" the way it's supposed to happen? It's doubtful that this new crew of actors will be able to recreate moments of such epic awkwardness in subsequent films. They're all a bit too cool and good looking, though I am stoked to see what new adventures they embark on!

Cross-referencing the minutia from TV episodes and the Trek Movies is what makes being a trekker so damn fun! So what to do now that it's all been revamped? Get a girlfriend, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment