Saturday, April 9, 2011

Charlie Sheen and the Violent Truth

Last night I caught the unstoppable, infinite-car-pile-up-traffic-accident that is Charlie Sheen. He was performing at Radio City Music Hall on his Violent Torpedo of Truth / Defeat is Not an Option tour. I must say, I found him funny and quite amusing for a bit, but as the show went on and the crowd got more intoxicated, things got... more interesting?


Warlock = Tigerblood + Adonis DNA

The audience was calamitous and people were complaining that they wasted their money. What were they expecting, Shakespeare?

I don't mean to pop your bubble-yum, but Charlie is NOT a stand up comedian, he's a Movie and Television star whose had 6 weeks to develop a touring act for which he's had absolutely no experience. Everyone who bought a ticket knew this going in, so I'm confused as to why anyone would be disappointed. I went to the show,
without any expectations, just to be open to what might happen and be witness to the whole cultural phenomenon surrounding Charlie.

I very much appreciate the spectacle of it all in an Andy Kaufman kind of way.



Andy had the unique ability to deliberately turn audiences against himself. To me, this is a brilliant form of meta-comedy that I enjoy. During some performance pieces, he would create awkward silences, and insist that the audience stop laughing at him. I actually saw one bit he did on Letterman, where he went through the crowd asking for money because he fell on hard times after getting fired from his hit TV show, Taxi. People actually dug into their pockets to give him a hand out!

Little did the audience know that they were a part of the whole joke, and that there is a much bigger social punchline that becomes defined afterward and is hilarious in the context of time. Like a magician, Andy used slight of hand to keep you looking where he wanted you to look, but all the while he was pulling a rabbit out of your ass.

I will not go as far as to say that Charlie is orchestrating his theatrical demise each night. However, I will point out that the recently unemployed actor has sold thousands of tickets at venues across the country, strictly on his pop-culture capital. That is an ingenious way to take the limes you've been handed and turn them into a margarita flavored Porsche. Ultimately, the joke is on anyone who is taking this whole thing seriously at all.

I'm not laughing at Charlie, I'm not even laughing at the crowd (...well maybe I am) -- I'm laughing at the context and enjoying the all encompassing absurdity. The fun is in the reaction it gets! I find it hilarious when people flip out and say how much they either think Charlie sucks, or think he's the greatest thing since cheeze waffles were invented.

Charlie is a fascinating case study in our culture's morbid obsession with celebrity melt downs. In the end, I got my money's worth because I'll always get to say that I was there to see it... whatever it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment