Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Music and Business and the Music Business

Music comes naturally for me. It always has and presumably always will. Hand me damn near any instrument and within the span of 30 seconds I'll be serenading you with Mary Had A Little Lamb.

I have no problem with business. In fact, I excel at matters of fact and logic. The problem is that businesses are run by people and people generally are NOT GOVERNED BY LOGIC... Especially in the Music Business. This really gets under my skin, courses through my veins and makes my brain explode.

As a musician, I have vision which may or may not always be right, but it's [usually] a clear vision regardless. Business people tend not to see what is clearly good unless it
"falls out of the sky lands on their face and starts to wiggle." [-Dan Akroid] That is to say: bad business men.

My music is like a gorgeously delicious looking cake that sits unscathed in the middle of a room full of starving people at a gala event. Everyone is afraid to take the first piece but as soon as someone does, the entire cake is promptly devoured leaving absolutely nothing in its place.

I understand that this all may sound cliche, which leads me to my next point. Most people are cliche. They do what you expect of them. If you expect very little, that's what you'll get. I expect great things of others as I expect great things of myself. This is a tall order my friends.

There are few great people in this world, so when you find one, stick with them. I can't begin to tell you the value of honesty, trustworthiness and loyalty. These are unreachable ideals for some, but for others a no brainer. If you find these people in your business, you're a lucky bloke.

No comments:

Post a Comment