Thursday, December 8, 2011

Some Things I Can't Remember

The mind is like a dryer... every now and then you lose a sock full of memories.  I sometimes think about the line in the 40 Year Old Virgin, when Steve Carell is hammered and when asked how much he's had to drink says "Oh, how many times have you gone to the bathroom in your life?!" There's really no way to tell.




I was pouring my cereal in a bowl this morning thinking about how 10 years from now, I will have absolutely no recollection of this minor event, unless a big brown bear smashed through the wall at that very moment.  If that were to happen, I would inevitably recount that story by saying how I was just minding my own business, pouring a bowl of cereal and all of a sudden... etc. etc. etc.


It also happens to be laundry day.  We really don't remember these moments in between.  My meaningless cereal pouring on the morning of December 8th 2012; the 22nd anniversary of the death of John Lennon; the date that Dimebag Darell was shot to death on a stage in Ohio;  My sister's birthday.  All of these events are effortlessly etched in the forefront of my mind on this date... but my cereal and laundry will be lost.


I often think about how we never really see the actual events of someone's life in TV or Film.  The hit show "24" boasted that every hour was in "real time" but I don't remember the episode where Jack Bauer was gone for 10-15 minutes because he was in the bathroom.  I figure that could be a whole segment, between commercials.  Everyone standing around, looking at their watches, waiting for Jack to shit or get off the pot. 


Goodbye my Rice Crispies, you were my arbitrary choice of morning sustenance.  The event of my pouring you, dousing you with milk and your consumption shall forever be forgotten... unless I write a blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment