Friday, December 16, 2011

Cars Parked in the Sun

My LA experience has been nothing short of phenomenal.  I've had an unbelievable reception from the greatest of welcome wagons.  Friends, new and old have been incredibly accommodating and want nothing more than to help out in any way they can.  Though it has its detractors, LA is truly an inspiring city.  A lot of people would sooner gag on a spoon from hearing me say that, so to them I say, "bon appetit."

It's a whole different scene out here versus Long Island, New York.  My general experience here has been that people just want to help you out.  Everyone is here to work, to get jobs and to give jobs.  However, one always has to factor in the LA "flake" quotient.  Being from New York, I tend to say what I mean and do what I say I'm going to do.  If we agree to meet or do something, I'll hold you to it.  People in LA ... not so much. 

It's been about a month and a half since I arrived in this sunny city of Angelenos, and I've discovered that the music scene here is alive and well.  I've seen many local bands including Shadow Shadow Shade, Telstar, and most recently The Child.  I make it a habit to go out just about every night, just to see what's crackin'.

The Child was quite impressive with their spacey David Bowie-esque sounds and atmosphere.      They had an eclectic look, solid rhythm section and you can't beat a band that has 2 chick singers.  It was their EP release party, and it was a lot of fun to watch. 



At this show I ran into Dhani Harrison (Son of George), and had a bit of a chat with him.  I was quite impressed with Dhani's words and wisdom, having recently seen him in the Scorcese documentary "Living in the Material World," about his father.  The son of the famed "quiet" Beatle was exceedingly nice and was somehow convinced that he had met me before.  He was sure that I was one of two Aristotles that he knows and that I was the one he had met while hanging out with Zowie Bowie.  I insisted he was mistaken, though in retrospect, I should have just went along with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment